Scope and consent
Collecting personal information
- We collect personal information in order to provide you with the Services and to help us personalise and improve your experience.
- We may collect and store any information you provide us when you use the Services, including when you add information on a web form, add or update your account information, participate in community discussions, chats, or dispute resolutions, or when you otherwise correspond to Us regarding the Services.
- When you use the Services, we also collect information about your interactions, transactions, and your activities. In addition, if you open an application or web account or use the Services, we may collect the following types of information:
– contact information, such as your name, address, phone, email, name of employer and other similar information; and
– financial information, such as the bank verification number, full bank account numbers, and/or debit/credit card numbers that you link to your application or web account or give us when you use the Services.
- We may also collect information from or about you from other sources, such as through your contact with us, including our customer care team, your results when you respond to our survey, your interactions with our staff of or those of other companies (subject to their privacy policies and applicable law), and from other accounts we have reason to believe you control (whether in part or in whole).
- Additionally, for quality and training purposes or for our own protection, we may keep records of or record telephone conversations with you or anyone acting on your behalf.
- We may also obtain information about you from third parties such as credit bureaus, background checks, and identity verification service providers as required.
- In order to help protect you from fraud and misuse of your personal information, we may collect information about you and your interactions with the Services.
- If you choose to link, create, or log in to your account with us using another service provider, or if you engage with a separate application or website that uses our application programming interface (“API”) (or whose API We use), we may receive information about you or your connections from that site or application.
When you download or use our mobile applications or access one of our mobile optimised sites, we may receive information about your location and your mobile device, including a unique identifier for your device. We may use this information to provide you with location-based services, such as advertising, search results, and other personalised content. Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable location services in the device’s setting’s menu. If you have questions about how to disable your device’s location services, we recommend you contact your mobile service carrier or the manufacture of your particular device.
Using personal information
We collect personal information in order to provide users with a secure, smooth, efficient, and customised experience. Furthermore, the information collected may also be used to –
- provide the Services and customer support; process request, complete transactions and send notices about your request or transactions;
- verify your identity, including during account creation and password reset processes;
- resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems; manage risk, or to detect, prevent, and/or remediate fraud or other potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
- detect, prevent or remediate violations of policies or applicable user agreements; improve the Services by customising your user experience;
- measure the performance of the Services and improve their content and layout;
- manage and protect our information technology infrastructure;
- provide targeted marketing and advertising, provide service update notices, and deliver promotional offers based on your communication preferences;
- contact you at any telephone number, by placing a voice call or through text (SMS) or email messaging; and
- perform creditworthiness and solvency checks, and compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties.
Additionally, we may contact you via electronic means to notify you regarding your account, to troubleshoot problems with your account, to resolve a dispute, to process payments, to poll your opinions through surveys or questionnaires, or as otherwise necessary to service your account. Furthermore, we may contact you to respond to a request, communicate offers, or inform you about the Services.
Finally, we may contact you as necessary to enforce our policies, applicable law, or any agreement we may have with you. When contacting you via phone, to reach you as efficiently as possible we may use, and you consent to receive, auto dialed or pre-recorded calls and text messages. Where applicable and permitted by law, you may decline to receive certain communications.
We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalise the Services, offers, content, and advertising.
When you access our websites or use the Services, we may place small data files on your computer or other device. These data files may be cookies, pixel tags, “Flash cookies,” or other local storage provided by your browser or associated applications (collectively referred to as “Cookies”). These technologies are used to –
- recognise Users as customers;
- customise the Services, content, and advertising; measure promotional effectiveness;
- help ensure that account security is not compromised;
- mitigate risk and prevent fraud; and
- promote trust and safety across the Services and related sites.
Users can freely decline our Cookies if the web browser or browser add-on permits, unless our Cookies are required to prevent fraud or ensure the security of websites we control. However, declining our Cookies may interfere with your use of our websites and the Services.
Protection and storage of personal information
We protect your information using physical, technical, and administrative security measures to reduce the risks of loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure and alteration. Some of the safeguards we use are firewalls and data encryption and information access authorisation controls.
Sharing personal information with other Users or relevant third parties
- When contracting with us or with third parties through our Website, you agree and hereby authorise us to provide those parties with information about you necessary to respond to your request or complete a transaction.
- We work with third parties, including regulatory authorities, credit bureaus, banks, real estate developers, property owners, realtors etc. in connection with the Services. In doing so, a third party may share information about you with us.
- We will not disclose your information to anyone other than in connection with the Services, or with the third parties that offer or use the Services with your express permission or if we are required to do so to comply for a legitimate purpose, a subpoena, or other legal processes.
Sharing personal information with third parties
You agree and hereby authorise us to share your personal information with –
- affiliated entities of the NSSF who provide manage processes such as registration, request, transactions and customer support, including those engaged by NSSF to help detect and prevent potentially illegal acts and violations of our policies, and to guide decisions about our products, services, and communications;
- other third parties such as real estate developers, landlords, realtors, financial institutions that we collaborate with in connection with the Services;
- credit bureaus and collection agencies to report account information, as permitted by law;
- law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties pursuant to the provisions of the applicable laws, a subpoena, court order, or other legal process or requirement applicable, when we need to do so to comply with the law or when we believe, in our sole discretion, that the disclosure of personal information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity or to investigate violations of our user agreement.
- Other unaffiliated third parties, for the following purposes –
- fraud prevention and risk management, to help prevent fraud or assess and manage risk;
- customer service, for customer service purposes, including to help service your accounts or resolve disputes;
- completion, in connection with the fulfilment of transactions through or website, application and in connection with the Services;
- legal compliance, to help them comply with all laws, regulations, and guidelines in force in Nigeria including anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing verification requirements; and
- service providers, to enable service providers under contract with us to support our business operations, such as fraud prevention, payment processing, marketing, customer service, and technology services. our contracts dictate that these service providers only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
Other third parties with your consent or direction to do so (please note that these third parties may be in other countries where the laws on processing personal information may be less stringent than in your country).
- We will only retain your personal information for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting, or reporting requirements. We may retain your personal data for a longer period in the event of a complaint or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation with respect to our relationship with you.
- To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data, and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or other requirements.
- In some circumstances, we will anonymize your personal information (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Security of personal information
- The security of your personal information is important to us but remember that no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. While we will strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Cross border transfers of personal information
- We are committed to adequately protecting your personal information regardless of where the data resides and to providing appropriate protection for your personal information where such data is transferred across borders, including outside of Nigeria with your consent.
Contact us about privacy questions and your information
You can ask us or third parties to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by logging into the website and checking or unchecking relevant boxes to adjust your marketing preferences or by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us at any time.
Governing Law and dispute resolution
Our obligations and any dispute arising under this application of this Policy shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.